RPI Video Receiver
Raspberry Pi Video Receiver
Main benefits of using Alpine Linux is that the SD/MMC is mounted read-only always. It will not wear out, and it's safe to power-off the device any time. Additionally the boot process has been made pro-looking so that only the splash screen is displayed.
The boot time is about 60 seconds. It should speed up with ~10 seconds after https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64766 is fixed.
- Format SD/MMC with one primary partition, FAT32 file system
- Extract http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.1/releases/armhf/alpine-rpi-3.1.1-armhf.rpi.tar.gz to SD/MMC
- Extract http://dev.alpinelinux.org/~tteras/rpi-video-decoder.tar.gz on top of that
The overlay image contains the following changes:
- fbsplash.ppm provide the splash screen with alpine logo
- cmdline.txt has "blacklist=fbcon" appended to disable video console
- and a default overlay is provided to play BBC world news
- root password is set to 'rpi'
The configuration overlay basically is constructed as:
apk add openssh chrony omxplayer vi /etc/network/interfaces # eth0 configured for dhcp vi /etc/conf.d/omxplayer # to configure TV-channel URL rc-update add networking rc-update add chronyd rc-update add sshd rc-update add omxplayer rc rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host_* # so you get new ssh key on boot lbu commit