Hosting services on Alpine
Alpine is well suited for hosting email-, web- or other network-related services.
Your biggest task is to figure out what you want your system to do.
First you need to get alpine up and running.
Follow the Installing_Alpine instructions on how to get your Alpine booted.
If nothing else is mentioned in the below instructions, you should use the latest stable release:
| Download now!|
[ERROR in latestalp.php: failed to read ERROR in latestalp.php: failed to read ]
(ERROR in latestalp.php: failed to read MiB) Released ERROR in latestalp.php: failed to read
VServer or not
VServer itself has nothing to do with the various services.
But if you intend to run multiple services on same box (e.g. mail and webhosting) it might be wise to run the various services in separate vserver-guests.
- Setting_up_a_basic_vserver | Basic information on how to set up vserver hosts/guests
We split the 'Mail' section into various tasks.
One task is to gather and process mail. Some other task would be to prevent spam and virus etc.
Finally we need to make sure the user can fetch/read his mail.
- Setting_up_postfix_with_virtual_domains | Postfix can be configured in multiple ways - Here we do it with virtual domains
Processing mail - Virus protection
Processing mail - Spam protection
- Setting_up_gross_for_postfix | Referrers to Setting_up_postfix_with_virtual_domains instructions
- Setting_up_clamsmtp | Use ClamSMTP to provide advanced content and virus filtering for spam
- http://www.sanesecurity.co.uk/ | Another good way of catching SPAM is Sanesecurity and MSRBL definitions
Delivering mail to the user
- Setting_up_dovecot_with_imap_and_ssl | Secure way to fetch you mail from the mailer daemon
- Setting_up_dovecot_with_imap_and_tls | Secure way to fetch you mail from the mailer daemon
- Hosting_Web/Email_services_on_Alpine | Describes multiple services on same document
- Protecting_your_email_server_with_Alpine | Describes multiple services on same document
- Setting_up_trac_wiki | A ticket/wiki system
- Lighttpd | Lighttpd web server
- Cherokee | Cherokee web server
- Apache | Apache web server
- Darkhttpd | Darkhttpd web server
- Setting_up_a_ssh-server | OpenSSH and Dropbear SSH servers
- Setting_up_unbound_DNS_server | A validating, recursive, and caching DNS resolver that supports DNSSEC
- Setting_up_nsd_DNS_server | An authoritative-only DNS server
- Setting up Explicit Squid Proxy | Configuring an explicit Squid proxy server
- Setting up Transparent Squid Proxy | Configuring a transparent Squid proxy server
You'll probably also want to look at Tutorials and Howtos