Setting up A Network Monitoring and Inventory System
This material is work-in-progress ...
Do not follow instructions here until this notice is removed.
This guide will set up (list subject to change):
- Nagios - apk is working
- NagiosQL - need to test (http://www.nagiosql.org/about-nagiosql.html, http://www.nagiosql.org/faq/31-general-documentation/71-nagiosql3-documentation.html)
- Cacti - basic functionality working in apk
- Smokeping - need to tie in with OpenAudit - auto add routers, switches, public DNS server
- OpenAudit - need apk
- SNMPTT - follow http://xavier.dusart.free.fr/joomla/index.php/en/nagios/47-traps-snmp-dans-nagios
- MySQL DB and associated scripts to tie these together
Set up Alpine server with Lighttpd 1.4.28-r0, PHP 5.3.3-r2 and MySQL 5.1.50-r0 with OpenAudit 09.12.23. Windows box can be audited with results returned to Alpine.
Set up test cacti system and made sure the basics work with the new aport.
SNMPTT receives snmp traps properly and sends them on to Nagios but they aren't parsed in any way yet.
Installed Nagiosql, need to investigate potential usage + OpenAudit integration.
Got nmap results into OpenAudit. Needed a change in admin_nmap_input.php line 48 ("Interesting ports on" -> "Nmap scan report for"), for which a bug report was filed upstream. Still need to get automatic scanning working of an entire subnet with new devices submitted to OpenAudit.
Nmap -> OpenAudit
- Scheduled nmap ping sweep of subnets (one at a time)
- Check if hosts have been audited recently
- If not, trigger an nmap OS detection
- If Windows, trigger a remote audit
- If other device type, do ___ to audit
OpenAudit -> Nagios (or Cacti, or Smokeping)
- Schedule a query of Windows Servers from OpenAudit + installed software
- Check that nagiosql has each server in it
- If it doesn't, add host monitoring + base services
- For each MS software (such as Exchange, SQL, DPM), add services
For bonus points:
- Query LLDP to find out where device is and set up dependencies automatically
- SNMPTT integration to Nagios (setup based on device info in OpenAudit)