GLPI is the Information Resource-Manager with an additional Administration- Interface. You can use it to build up a database with an inventory for your company (computer, software, printers...). It has enhanced functions to make the daily life for the administrators easier, like a job-tracking-system with mail-notification and methods to build a database with basic information about your network-topology.
The principal functionalities of the application are :
1) the precise inventory of all the technical resources. All their characteristics will be stored in a database. 2) management and the history of the maintenance actions and the bound procedures. This application is dynamic and is directly connected to the users who can post requests to the technicians. An interface thus authorizes the latter with if required preventing the service of maintenance and indexing a problem encountered with one of the technical resources to which they have access.
Install lighttpd, PHP, and MySql
For installing the additional packages first activate community packages:
Uncomment the following:
Update the packagelist:
Install the additional packages:
Edit the section:
Start lighttpd service and add to needed runlevel
Install Mysql server packages
/usr/bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql /etc/init.d/mysql start && rc-update add mysql default /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'password'
Create the GLPI database
Note: you can create the database from command line or from the GLPI web page later.
Create a folder named webapps
Download the source code archive
Unpack and delete tar file
Change the folder permissions
Create a symlink to the glpi folder
Browse to: http://WEBSERVER_IP_ADDRESS/glpi and install GLPI by completing the information as appropriate from the web browser.
GLPI Installation steps:
- Select your language
- I have read and ACCEPT the terms of the license written above.
- Beginning of the installation - Installation or update of GLPI
- Choose 'Install' for a completely new installation of GLPI.
- Select 'Update' to update your version of GLPI from an earlier version
- Checking of the compatibility of your environment with the execution of GLPI
- Continue ?
- Database connection setup
- Mysql server: localhost
- Mysql user: root
- Mysql password : password
- Test of the connection at the database
- Database connection successful
- Create a new database or use an existing one: glpi
- Database created
OK - database was initialized Default values have been entered, feel free to delete them if you want Upon first connection you can use the login glpi and the password glpi in order to access the application with administrator rights
After click on "continue" you will see The installation is finished.
Congratulations, you installed GLPI!
You can delete or modify these accounts as well as the first entries in the database. Use GLPI.
Browse to http://WEBSERVER_IP_ADDRESS/glpi now